Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Initial Thoughts

The voice I have decided to take on for this project is one of a black male who has adoptive white, upper-class parents. As open-minded as I'd like to be about this, I can honestly say that my thoughts on this subject are somewhat biased. I am hoping that by the end of this project I have a better understanding of the life that people who identify with my voice live.

I guess my biggest assumption about my voice is that he has no awareness of his black identity. He probably has nothing but white friends and has become so used to being the only black person in his circle that he has no desire to seek out black culture. What he sees on television may be enough validation for him to try to play gangster around his friends. Seeing other black people is probably a rare occurrence within his neighborhood and interaction is probably even less likely. He probably has a very stereotypical idea of how black people conduct themselves since his exposure is so limited. His privilege has probably blinded him to the fact that all others are not as fortunate and have to work much harder than he will in life.

I feel like I am just rattling off anything bad I could say about him right now because I do not have anything to make me think any different. I guess the more research I do, the more I will be able to make it make sense. This voice is probably not as bad as I make it out to be but only time will tell. For everything I find that proves my assumptions wrong I am sure I will find something that will prove me right. We'll see............................................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where do these initial assumptions come from? Personal experiences? Movies/TV? Family comments?