I feel like this is something I need to talk about but not with anybody here.
It's not like I don't know I'm Black. I see that everyday. It's been that obvious since as far back as I can remember. I look completely different from my parents. Well, not just look; they're white. I've heard the shit enough times. People where I live at thought it was crazy at first. It wasn't to me so I just ignored it. I got used to being the only black person all the time. Eventually, my friends stop seeing it so I did too. I had everything they had (and still do, if not more). All my friends have always been white and I fit right in. Just like them, my parents have lots of money and I'm not ashamed of that. I flaunt that shit like its my job.
It wasn't really until I got to college that I started to see it again. I was actually surprised to see so many types of people on the campus. I don't have financial aid but I guess it works wonders. I pretty much just hang out with the guys I hung out with in high school. Them and some girls we met here. There are a few Black people in my dorm but I never talk to them. I don't really see the point. We have nothing in common. Just being Black isn't enough for me to talk to you. They all hang out together like there aren't any other people in the building. Who the hell do they think they are?
I think my biggest issue is the fact that no one here seems to see me as Black. People have said to me that I act white and talk white. WTF????????????????????? Because I talk proper and don't fuck up all of my words on purpose? Because I don't wear my pants past my ass and drink forties? Excuse me for not acting like an animal. And they wonder why people look at them the way they do. I might be Black but I'm NOTHING like THEM>
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Donald, this is a good attempt to get into what your voice might be feeling arriving on campus. Do you really believe he blended in so seamlessly with his White friends before college?
You need to make it clear somehow though that you're talking in voice. Also, although this is a more informal assignment, it is an academic assignment nonetheless; cussing is not appropriate.
Post a Comment