Sunday, November 30, 2008

Meet the Parents

So I'm back from break and here's the verdict: my parents are the WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I'm adopted, big deal. I've come to terms with that. But WHY they adopted me is a bit shaky in my opinion. My parents were very involved in the civil rights movement and found ways to help out Black people. I guess this was their way of giving back or naming up for what White people did to Black people. And I guess picking the darkest kid in the bunch made them feel even better about themselves. Now I feel like less like their child and more like a charity case. I feel like them adopting me made them feel better but what about me? Did they think about how this would all affect me now? did they thing they could shield me from the rest of the world forever? Why didn't they help me prepare for it?

But what I'm not so understanding about is how they could just let me go through life so oblivious and so content with thinking things were cool. If they were trying to help me, wouldn't they make an effort to expose me to my culture? Why blind my sights and make me think White people are the be all and end all of the world? Why just throw me to the wolves so to speak? There was never a time EVER that they tried to expose me to Black people, films, food, or anything Black for that matter. The excuse (and I call it that because that's what it is) they gave me was that they were scared of the influences I would pick up and how they would impact my behavior and how I saw them. So I had to start doing it myself. And it feels good. It's not like they can stop me anymore. They can't hide things from me anymore. I've started to meet other people here who are looking for the same thing. They don't judge me or make me feel like I'm less of a Black person. I've spent so much time trying to fit in with other people and never knew who I was. Now, I'm learning more than I ever thought I would.

No comments: